Monday, January 12, 2009

Inaugural Post

Happy New Year! Happy New Blog!
Beyond your typical resolutions to exercise more, eat right and get out of debt this year, my resolution is this blog! When I was a younger chicky, I loved baking and decorating cakes. And then for some time, I grew out of it, I believe they call it growing up, moving out and living in the real world. And then last September, my wonderful daughter had her first birthday. I started to plan her party, and ironically enough, I decided to make her cake, instead of buying one from the store, to save money. My husband (and myself to be honest) had no idea what I was getting into. I designed an elaborate, well at my novice level it was elaborate, garden and bug themed, two-tiered masterpiece. And it took two days in the making. As a matter of fact, I was up until about 2 or 3 in the morning, the day before the party, finishing the cake. And when I finally went to bed, I wasn't even tired. I was elated! I went to bed dreaming of frosting and lady bugs and bees, giddy with anticipation of everyone, especially my daughter, seeing the cake for the first time! The next day, as hokey as this is going to sound, really changed me. I told my husband after the party, that I had finally found it, my thing was cake decorating.

This realization led me to my local craft mart, to sign up for cake decorating classes, As Soon As Possible! And well, the rest is soon to become history!

Here is a picture of the cake that (re)started it all!

2 comments:

  1. That looks great. I made the same decision with my two kids and that was to make them a cake instead of getting a store bought one. I love to bake but not much of a decorator. My New Year's resolution this year was to start taking classes at my local Michael's and I love it. I hope you were able to start taking classes also. Good Luck and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete