Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Cupcakes

My daughter's teacher at daycare celebrated her 20th birthday last week. One of the other teachers was spreading the news the week before and as soon as she told me about it I knew I wanted to do something special. So I decided that I would make her a batch of delicious birthday cupcakes! So I went home and sized up my pantry, and I came up with the idea to make a yellow cake cupcake, with a hint of chocolate flavor. Now I just needed some inspiration on how I wanted them to look. Ask and you shall receive, the inspiration was right in front of me. My kitchen timer is shaped like a cupcake, and a rather cute one at that! So now I was off to work on making some fabulous birthday cupcakes for Miss H! Ready, here we go!


I started with my basic cupcake ingredients. I followed the cake mix instructions exactly, and to achieve my hint of chocolate flavor I added 3 tbs Cocoa Powder and 1 tsp of milk...mix...mix...mix...

then I filled my cupcake liners with my batter...then it's off to the oven for about 30 minutes...

...hmmmmm they're done! Wow, that smells so good! But, must let them cool on a wire rack...

Now we're ready to decorate! (My favorite part!) While the cupcakes were cooling, I whipped up some vanilla butter cream frosting. Then I put my 1M tip into my disposable pastry bag and filled it with butter cream.


Oh and don't forget those sprinkles!
Let's start by piping my first layer swirl...

and then finish it off by piping my second layer swirl right on top!

Now, repeat! Aren't they cute, I just love cupcakes :)


Again, don't forget those sprinkles! They really make the (cup)cake!

Ooooh, so sweet!

Inspiration & My Creation!
Not too shabby if you ask me! Oh and I had to have one (I swear, just one) you know as a tester and they we're awesome! Miss H loved them too!

4 comments:

  1. Super cute, I'm glad other use box mixes. People always get so on me about it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliments! I really like box cakes too! Once in a while I will make a cake from scratch, when I want to make a special recipe. But most of the time, these cakes work great and taste good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree I don't see anything wrong with it and so many people see it as cheating. Those are also the people who don't have kids and have no clue what goes into a mom's day!

    I'm glad you like the CCC Gumball Machine. I try my best to find ones that we haven't seen and are cool not just the ones people always pick apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thank you for the visit and for following
    my blog. I adore your cupcakes and also I totally agree with you and Alexis about using
    cake mix...

    ReplyDelete